When we are using the Windows Server Update Services, computer groups are the most important part of this deployment. Computer groups permit you to test the updates and new features on the specific computers or computer groups.
There are commonly two default computer groups:
- All computers
- Unassigned Computers
When any of the client computer contacts with the Windows Server Update Services, the server will add that client computer to both of the above mentioned groups.
Within Windows Server Updates, you have the options to create as many computer groups as you want to manage your updates within the organization. On the safe side, at least you have a computer groups before you deploy the Windows Server Update Services to test the required updates within the client computers.
You can create a new group and assign a computer to that group by following the below mentioned steps:
To create a Computer Groups:
- Go to WSUS Administration Console, select the Update Services, and Click on or expand the WSUS Server, expand computer and right-click on all computers and then click on the Add Computer Groups.
- There will be a add Computer Group dialog box appears, in the Name Box simply specify the Name of the New Group and click on the add button.
- Now you have to select the computers that you want to assign to this new group.
- Right-Click the computer name which you have selected in the previous step, and then click on the Change Membership option.
- Now Set Computer Group Membership dialog box appears, select the test group that you created and then click on Button.